Saturday, January 15, 2011

Have you told your partner why you love them lately?


As a marriage and family therapist I educate clients about the importance of decreasing the negative and critical comments towards your partner and replacing them with positives. Sounds easy right?? It can be…but it takes practice! Take a look at the work of one of the most profound relationship experts, Dr. John Gottman’s, “6 predictors of marital happiness and success”, paying specific attention to the 5:1 ratio of positives to negatives.

http://www.drjanhoistad.com/docs/Gottman.pdf

I have to remind myself to do this in my marriage as well. So in light of the new year and stressful times with buying a house I sent my husband a list of the 10 reasons I love him. Corny but necessary. Here is my list (with a few of the more intimate details removed):

1.Your amazingly sexy good looks
2.Your humor
3.Your sense of adventure
4.Your brilliance
5.Your wittiness
6.Your ability to not take life too seriously
7.Your goofiness
8.Your ability to think outside of the box and fix/repair anything
9.Your lack of fear
10.Your willingness to hug me and calm me when I am stressed

No comments:

Post a Comment