Saturday, January 15, 2011

Parenting in this crazy new generation of technology and materialism!

http://www.nctimes.com/lifestyles/columnists/rosemond/article_f75a98eb-728e-57ad-b533-8ddb41d20847.html

My Aunt sent me an email today asking what I thought of this article on parenting. I do not personally know the psychologist who wrote this somewhat rigid article but for the most part I fully agree with his points. I think as parents it is hard to avoid getting caught up in the materialistic and technology challenging world that our youth experience on a daily basis. I am not a parent yet so maybe some of my viewpoints will change when I enter this wonderful stage of life; however, I would like to believe that I will stick to these “rules” when I become a parent. The one point I may slightly disagree with is number 1 because I do believe that children should be able to invite their friends to their birthday parties (although I do agree that extravagant parties are not necessary). Here is the email I wrote back to my aunt:

“I totally agree with this guy! I agree that he seems a bit cold but he has very valid points. Too many parents “revolve” around their children and don’t have a life for themselves (or totally let their marriage fall apart because of their over-focus on their children). I always tell parents that the best gift you can give your child is to show love and respect for the marital relationship. Children these days have too much control and not enough structure. They spend too much time playing video games, playing on the internet and text messaging rather than practicing their much needed communication skills in face to face relationships.”

2 comments:

  1. Have you read this? http://on.wsj.com/esA57L

    Talk about intense!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is one intense article! This is definitely not what I teach in my therapy practice; however she has a few valid points. I agree that too many parents put all the blame for their childrens academic difficulties on the school rather than stepping up to the plate at home. I also agree that too many parents give up on their children too easily. I believe that children need to be pushed a little to help them succeed. Other than that I believe this rigid way of parenting teaches children that their only value comes from external accomplishments rather than their pure authenic value as a human beings. We need to be culturally sensitive but sometimes lines need to be drawn :)

    ReplyDelete