Saturday, February 19, 2011

Gem of the Jungle

I am taking you on an adventure to one of the most beautiful yet dangerous places that I have ever been. The tantalizing turquoise water, lush green jungle, picturesque waterfalls and wild rope swings entice travelers to brave this dangerous region in order to soak up the natural beauty of Agua Azul. Agua Azul lies in the southernmost part of Mexico in the somewhat dangerous region of Chiapas. During my 7 month journey through Mexico and Central America I dragged Chad away from the world class waves on the coast to this gem in the jungle. After "paying off, talking and buying" our way through multiple roadblocks and hours on the road we were able to soak up the beauty of this region.

Here is a brief description of Agua Azul from my travel blog at the time:

"Day 28 was our last full day in Mexico. We spent half the day at Agua Azul which is a limestone river with a bunch of waterfalls and swimming holes. As the name implies, this was the most incredible colored water I have ever seen. For those of you that have seen the water in Switzerland, this is the same thing but in the jungle. Although the place was a bit touristy we were able to get away from the crowds by hiking to the top of the highest waterfall. There were two rope swings at the top which dropped you into a deep aquamarine swimming hole. It was absolutely picturesque! The day got even better when I was mistaken for a model. OK, that's a bit of a lie, but a 60 year old man asked if he could take a picture with me in my bathing suit. His wife took the picture and Chad stood off to the side laughing. Chad is now convinced this happens to me all the time :). Who cares that he was sixty, right?"

Click  here  if you are interested in reading more from our 7 month adventure.

I dare you to take this journey :)...








(Imgaes via traveltalkteach)

Happy Saturday!

No comments:

Post a Comment