Friday, March 25, 2011

Want to ensure a lifelong marriage of happiness???

Include you favorite furry companion on your wedding day!

Oh the joy animals can bring to your life! I am blessed to come home to the most precious form of therapy daily...my "Pretty", "Pumpkin", "Reeeeno", "Lover"....officially known as RHINO ♥

I regard this furry friend as my very own form of Xanax. Yep, no need for Xanax here because I have Rhino to lean on, pet and cuddle with when I am struggling to get through a day. Not only is he my best buddy, but he did an awesome job protecting me during our 7 month Central American adventure...
http://theburbadventure.blogspot.com/2008_04_01_archive.html

Here is an excerpt from one of his "guard dog" days:

"It was during this horrendous border crossing day that my irreplaceable companionship with Rhino was solidified (yeah I know another Rhino story, but this is a good one). Up until this point on our journey I was unsure whether Rhino was simply there to look cute and play with coconuts all day or whether he was a true watch dog. At the Honduras border crossing he truly proved his worth. He and I were "watching" the burb as we do best and an older sketchy looking gentlemen walked up to the car window trying to sell me some random pieces of junk. I repeated my monotonous line of "no gracias" or no thank you for those of you who struggle with Spanish :). The scraggly looking gentlemen kept coming back over to my window and I was unsure whether he was simply trying to be nice and strike up conversation or whether he wanted something more. Rhino decided for me on the third round of window creeping when the man got a little too close. He put his front legs on the seat behind me, leaned forward in a fierce posture and barked the loudest and most ferocious bark I have ever heard. He was about 3 inches from the guys face and you should have seen him jump backwards. I was seriously proud of my little "pretty/precious" (what I call him) turned "Beast" (as Chad has always called him). Instead of telling him to stop I let him posture himself for a bit longer to scare the creeper away and it worked. I proceeded to give "Beast" a treat and a big kiss. Never underestimate a lab (see the San Blas blog entry for proof that they can and WILL bite). This is truly when Rhino became "my" dog and when I took over sole responsibility of feeding and caring for the beast :). Love him!!!"--Could you get more precious than this?

As I was finishing up my last bedside novel "Committed" (http://traveltalkteach.blogspot.com/2011/03/therapuetic-nature-of-reading.html), I was reminded of another worthy role that dogs can play..."Flower Dog" or "Ring Dog" in a wedding. And no they are not just there to look cute, they play a MAJOR role in maintaining fidelity in the future marriage. Yep, you heard that right..."In medieval wedding portraits, you will often see the image of a dog painted between the figures of a newly wed couple--the ultimate symbol of fidelity"--Elizabeth Gilbert.

This tidbit brought me back to my own wedding with "Pretty Pumpkin" right in the middle :). Is this a sign of a lifelong happy marriage??? I sure hope so!


(Image via Pat Chidester) 

Rushing down the aisle to help seal the deal :)






(Images via bluewave photo)

Happy Friday!!!

5 comments:

  1. Mine now :)...or should I be fair and say "ours"

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's an interesting quote from Committed...how cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know...I about died when I read it because Rhino was right in between us as we got married. I sure hope it's true haha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What about little Buddha?! He was once your pride and joy too!!

    ReplyDelete